(239 Rating; 0 Reviews)
Rollover & click to Rate
Haldwani Fast Facts
- State: Uttarakhand
- District: Nainital
- Famous for/as: City
- Population: 452,169 (2011)
- Religions: Sikhs, Punjabis, Hindu
- Altitude: 424 m
- Language: Kuamoni and Hindi
- Best Season: September to March
- Weather: Summer 27 °C, Winter 03 °C
- Clothing: The men wear pajamas and a long coat with a woollen cap. The women wear lehengas and ghaghras ( full skirts ) with full-sleeved jackets.
- Local Transport: Rail, Bus, Taxi
- Pincode: 263139
- STDCode: 05946
Uttarakhand Tourism Dev. Board
Pt.Deendayal Upadhaya Paryatan Bhawan
Near ONGC Helipad,Garhi Cantt.
Contact No.- 91-135-2559898, 2559987
E-mail UTDB- firstname.lastname@example.org
Haldwani, India Overview
Passage of people into Haldwani can be traced back to the 15th -16th centuries when hill dwellers would make their way down into Haldwani to escape the bitter winters in the hills. These people were essentially animal rearers and they used to migrate along with their animals and were known as 'Gothiyas'. In Haldwani they used to engage themselves in small jobs and make 'khoya' from the milk which they got from their animals. During the British occupation they busied themselves in work related to forestry in Haldwani.
- Traveller Rating
- Excellent (0)
- Very good (0)
- Average (0)
- Poor (0)
- Terrible (0)
Must See Places in Haldwani, India
Haldwani, India History
Few historians mention that in 14th century, a local ruler, Gyan Chand of Chand Dynasty, visited Delhi Sultanate and received the regions of Bhabhar- Terai up to the Ganga as a grant from then Sultan. Later, the Mughals tried to take over the hills, but their attempts received set back due to the difficult terrain.
In 1856, Sir Henry Ramsay took over as the Commissioner of Kumaon. During the Indian Rebellion of 1857, it was briefly seized by the rebels of Rohilkhand, soon martial law was declared in the region by Sir Henry Ramsay, and by 1858, the region was cleared of the rebels.
Later, Ramsay connected Nainital with Kathgodam by road in 1882. In 1883-84, the railway track was laid between Bareilly and Kathgodam. The first train arrived at Haldwani from Lucknow on April 24, 1884. Later, the railway line was extended to Kathgodam.
In 1901, with a population of 6,624, Haldwani was the headquarters of the Bhabhar region of Nainital District, in the United Province, and it also used to become the winter headquarters of the officers of the Kumaun Division and of Nainital District. The Arya Samaj Bhavan was built in 1901 and Sanatan Dharm Sabha in 1902. The Tehsil office was opened here in 1899, when it became the tehsil headquarters of the Bhabhar, one of four division of Nainital district, and included 4 towns and 511 villages; and had a combined population of 93,445 (1901), spread over 1,279 sq. miles. Though before the formation of Nainital district in 1891, it was part of the Kumaon District, which was later called Almora district.
In 1904, it was consitituted as a 'notified area' and in 1907 Haldwani got the status of town area.
Gora Padao, 4 km south of Haldwani was named after a British camp/post at that location in the mid 1800s, Gora being a slang for the British.
Haldwani-Kathgodam Municipal Council was established on September 21, 1942. Currently it is the second largest Municipal Council in the state of Uttarakhand after Haridwar.